sportscotland strives to ensure that every person in Scotland has opportunities in sport. Our corporate plan 2011-15 outlines our clear focus - we will invest our time, expertise and funding in developing a world class sporting system at all levels.
As part of our business plan for 2013-15 we have developed four equality outcomes that we will work to:
- Awareness: Awareness is increased around the needs of people who share protected characteristics that are under-represented in sport
- Skills and knowledge: The sporting workforce has the appropriate skills and knowledge to address inequalities in sport
- Workforce diversity: People participating in sport are supported by a diverse sporting workforce
- Opportunities: Equality of opportunity to participate, progress and achieve in sport is advanced
sportscotland is committed to embedding a culture of equality and diversity in our organisation and ensuring that all employees are treated fairly, without discrimination because of age, diability, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, sex, religion or belief, or sexual orientation.
sportscotland is committed to meeting its requirements under the Equality Act 2010. The Equality Act 2010 states that public bodies must have due regard to the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not.
The relevant protected characteristics are: age; disability; gender reassignment; marriage and civil partnership; pregnancy and maternity; race; religion or belief; sex; sexual orientation. The Act is supported by more specific duties for Scottish public bodies in the Eqaulity Act 2010 (Specific Duties) (Scotland) Regulations 2012.
sportscotland's equality mainstreaming report highlights progress towards the requirements of the General Equality Duty and the Public Sector Equality Duty, including:
- Examples of how we are working across the sports sector to advance equality in sport.
- Information on how we have embedded and mainstreamed equality considerations into our ways of working at sportscotland.
- An overview of our staff equality profile.
- Details of our gender pay gap and our statement of equal pay.