Constitution – some things to consider
- A constitution sets out the purpose and rules of your sport club.
- Constitutions present the objectives of your club
- Constitutions clarify the rules of your club
- Subscription fees are set and written into some constitutions
- Annual general meeting dates are included in constitutions
A constitution typically includes:
- Objectives - what members will be provided
- Membership Type - adult, junior, team
- Subscription rates - weekly, monthly or annual subscription to sustain the club
- Rules – rules that the club will follow
- Management – how the club will manage matters arising
- Annual General Meeting - date, number of members required, notice perio
- Extraordinary General Meeting - date, number of members required, notice period
- Dissolution – In the events that the club will cease to exist detail how the club will spend its remaining funds and how it should be dissolved
All sport clubs should have a constitution. See the templates for examples of a constitution, but please note that constitutions are specific to each club and not all elements detailed will be relevant to every club and constitutions should be amended to suit the needs of your club.
Additional Links - Sport England Good Governance Guide
This information is provided for guidance only and is not intended to cover every possible situation or scenario that may arise. In all cases, you should seek specific advice from your sporting body and/or specialist advisor relevant to your project.
Whilst every attempt is made to ensure that information provided by sportscotland is accurate and up-to-date, some information is subject to change. No responsibility is accepted by or on behalf of sportscotland for any errors, omissions, or misleading statements within the information. Responsibility can also not be taken for action or inaction as a result of information obtained from sportscotland. In the case of information provided on the website, this also includes information obtained through any site to which the pages connect, including any feature or aspect of such site or pages, whether provided by sportscotland or by any organisation, company or individual. sportscotland will not be held liable for any such information and reserves the right to alter the content of information at any time