UKCC subsidy for coaches
sportscotland recognises the importance of new coaches coming into sport and the need for accessible, affordable coaching courses to be available to them.
By filling out the relevant application form (individual or group) eligible applicants can access funding towards the cost of UKCC endorsed qualifications.
Applications must be made at least four weeks prior to the start of the course; retrospective applications will not be accepted.
As of the 1st of April 2015 UKCC subsidy amounts have changed
For courses starting on/after the April 1st will qualify for the new subsidy amounts;
- Level 1 40% of full course cost with a maximum value of £100
- Level 2 70% of full course cost with a maximum value of £400
For candidates wishing to complete Rugby Union qualifications support is provided directly to Scottish Rugby. Candidates should apply direct to Scottish Rugby via their normal course application process for an award.
- Individual applications (Word document)
Individual candidate subsidy will be up to a maximum of 40% or £100 at Level 1, or 70% or £400 at Level 2 whichever is lower.
- Group applications (Word document)
If you are a group ie two or more individuals from the same organisation / club, you can also access funding per applicant of up to a maximum of 40% or £100 at Level 1, or 70% or £400 at Level 2 whichever is lower.
Am I eligible?
Are you or your group eligible?
- Applicants must demonstrate coaching activity within 6 months of applying for the subsidy (minimum activity supported will be once per month or an average of 12 sessions per year)
- The course being attended must take place in Scotland and be registered with the SQA (your course organiser can confirm this).
- Applicants should evidence what impact this qualification will have on their school, club or community.
What else do I need to do?
That applicants are/or become, registered to, or a member, of their respective Scottish governing body.
Applicants become members of the ‘Protection of Vulnerable Groups’ (PVG) scheme where appropriate. Sports governing Bodies assess roles against the criteria for Regulated Work under the Protection of Vunerable Groups (PVG) Scheme and where relevant ask newly appointed coaches to join the scheme, your sport will advise whether this is required.
Sports which require an active membership funding are: Canoeing, Gymnastics, Judo, Netball, Squash and Racketball, Swimming and Triathlon. Please ensure your number is noted on the form.
- Candidates should ensure that they have registered for a course place with their respective governing body or course organiser before submitting their subsidy application form to sportscotland.
What happens after I apply?
Once your application is received, we will check you meet the eligibility criteria and give you an electronic decision within 14 working days of receipt of your application.
If I am successful
You will receive an electronic letter confirming your award.
- This can be used as part payment towards your course.
- Please forward this to your course organiser who will accept it as part payment.
If I am unsuccessful
Unfortunately you have not met the criteria on this occasion as detailed in your electronic decision response.
- You can apply again for other courses or sports.
- Date published: 07 July 2014
- Date updated: 29 April 2015
- Published by: sportscotland