Thursday, 21 June
Colin and Chris Weir – the UK’s biggest ever EuroMillions winners – have announced that they have funded a £102,000 refurbishment of the outdoor sports facilities at Inverclyde, sportscotland’s National Sports Training Centre.
The couple from Largs – who scooped over £161 million last year – have helped replace four outdoor tennis courts / two seven-a-side football pitches with multi-purpose sand-filled synthetic surfaces and a new 3G synthetic grass five-a-side football pitch, including new goalposts and nets.
In addition, the Weirs have also funded improvements in the drainage and landscaping around these sports facilities.
Speaking about their donation to the Inverclyde sports facilities, Colin Weir said:
"The centre holds a very important place in the community. As well as attracting school kids and sports men and women from all over Scotland to Largs, it is a tremendous facility for local people to keep fit and enjoy the camaraderie and passion of sport.
“That's why we were delighted to help out when we heard that the all-purpose surfaces needed replacing. Having seen the new pitches, they look ideal and it is fantastic to see so many people making the most of them."
John Kent, sportscotland’s Principal of the National Sports Training Centre at Inverclyde, said:
“sportscotland is developing a world-class sporting infrastructure across the country and key to this is the provision of excellent multi-purpose facilities and ensuring they are accessible for local communities to use and enjoy.
“The significant refurbishment of these two facilities at Inverclyde is widening the opportunities for the local community and people from much further afield of all ages and abilities to participate in sport.
“The previous surfaces, due to the high demand, had reached the end of their operational life, so this investment has opened up new possibilities for football, tennis and other outdoor sports in Largs and the surrounding areas.
“This has been made possible by the very kind donation from Colin and Chris Weir. This is extremely generous of them, and these facilities will be well used and enjoyed by many.”
Facilities Consist of
- Four outdoor tennis courts / two seven-a- side football pitches
- Five- a-side football caged pitch
- All Floodlights
- Multi-purpose sand -filled synthetic sport surface for tennis and football.
- 3G synthetic activities surface on the five-a-side cage area.
- Includes new goalposts and nets.
To upgrade a facility which was 15 years old, which was experiencing drainage issues, with a new carpet and playing surface, including drainage and landscaping.
- Local community of all ages, for football and tennis, including other multi-sports activities.
- Residential groups using the centre
- Available 0900 – 2300 hours daily for sports users
- On a casual pay and play basis
- Or by groups or individuals block booking a specific time each week.
- Also available for a range of groups who come to Largs and are in residents at the centre